Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Process Part 1

You are cordially invited to join me on the journey of creation for my newest work. So new it doesn't even have a title yet. This new untitled work will premiere on May 5th on the Tennis Courts as part of the Midwood Mania Festival in the Midwood neighborhood of Charlotte NC. I am inviting you to partake in more that just a viewing of the final work but in the whole process leading up to May 5th. This work is being supported by a grant from the Arts and Science Council. This is my first grant and I am very excited. I am working as part of the KinetiCollective and choreographer Sarah Barnard and I wrote the grant, with much assistance from Martha Connerton, and are both choreographing works for the 1st ever Tennis Court Dance at the Midwood Mania Festival. We received $2,000 which has to be matched by indivdual donations and raised funds. To donate: http://www.mckineticworks.or/kcollectiveprojects.php

We held auditions March 15th and 16th with a nice turn out and I had my first rehearsal last night. Though I must admit I've been working on the ideas for the piece since last Fall.
I am excited for you to join me on this journey and I hope you'll tune back in regularly to check on the progress. Let The Process begin:

Step 1: Generating Movement- The clip is of some contact improvisation that company member Amber Debnam and I played with back in the Fall. We knew this piece was going to include a lot of partner work so contact seemed like the most logical starting place. However, as we found out perhaps Lady Gaga is not effective music for serious exploration. Despite all of our fun some of this movement inspired phrase work that I am using to create the piece. Please feel free to comment. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It's neat to see how you practice - and how much fun you have doing it! :-)

    ReplyDelete