Sunday, June 5, 2011

Intensive

This week I had an intensive with my dancers. Rehearsal three days in a row in preparation for an application submission. It was absolutely wonderful!
There is much fear in embarking on one's life work. I feel drawn to this project. There is a calling involved here. So as the idea for "Stir" began coming to me a year ago, I was excited and terrified. The idea is so extensive for the whole project and for each piece. I am worried that while I can dream up ideas, I can't make them into reality. But here's the cool part I've found that when you are truly doing the work you are meant to do, when you are playing vessel, you don't have to do it all. I've discovered that when I put in the work, the research, the time... so much comes out of my subconscious. I'll look back on something I've created, some small movement phrase or whatever and discover there is so much there then I was even aware of as I was creating it. But because I am immersed completely in this study right now it just comes out. And I can't pretend I am doing this on my own, there is most definitely a higher power at work here.
And don't get me started on my dancers. Where my creativity leaves off their artistry picks up. The three of them are an amazing group of movers and artists. I am in awe of what they are able to do with the direction I give them. They are certainly part of the creative process and I am truly thankful for Amber, Emily and Val.
I asked for stories and I got jewels. The honesty with which people shared their personal experience with me will forever enchant me. We are a people in need of sharing, in search of witnesses for the things great and small that we experience and I am honored to have witnessed these stories.
The work is not completed. But there are viable sections, it is becoming... something.

1 comment:

  1. "We are a people in need of sharing, in search of witnesses for the things great and small that we experience and I am honored to have witnessed these stories." You couldn't be more right about that! I'm looking forward to being witness myself of this wonderful work, Camerin.

    ReplyDelete